Pat Layton Pat Layton Pat Layton: Sweet Tea for Surrendered Sisters
Checkers or Chess? What's your game??
I have used my blog a few times to praise my husband and my children. I hope you do that as well. It's really fun and helps me to stop for a minute to focus upon and appreciate qualities, accomplishments and God moments that are happening every day. A mother needs that. 

There are so many times when I have felt like an utter failure with my kids. Times when something I say or do, or something they say or do, shouts. "you are a failure". I have learned over the years that those kinds of voices, the ones that say "failure" "loser" "you will never get this right" are voices that come from the enemy of my life. Satan has no other daily activity than to search the earth looking for someone who will believe his lies about their worth or success in God's assignments.

My friend, Renee Swope, is writing a book about our doubts as women and recently presented a survey on her blog. She was blown away by the responses that she got and was inspired even more to help women overcome this dead end thinking.

All of this to say that in the middle of a discussion I was having with one of my children recently about some things I am working on and attempting to follow God into, the challenge was set before me....

"Mom, it is time that you change your game from checker to chess".

Wow! 

That was pretty discerning. You are a pretty smart person!

In the game of checkers we basically RESPOND to the move the other person makes. They move, you move, they jump your checker piece, you loose a bit of territory and work harder to get one of your little pieces to their side of the board so that you can become KING (or Queen in my case).



On the other hand, in a game of Chess, strategic planning is required. The better Chess player is one who is able to look at the Board and read into the thoughts of his or her opponent. The winning player will be the one who is able to consider the game a few steps ahead. It requires SEEING YOURSELF as a winner! It requires a confidence that goes beyond just a move to move response. 



There are seasons in life, as my brilliant child declared, when a change of game is called for.

God has so much to say in His Word about our plans. Here are just a couple of them:


One of my favorites is Proverbs 16:3 (Amplified Bible)

3Roll your works upon the Lord [commit and trust them wholly to Him; He will cause your thoughts to become agreeable to His will, and] so shall your plans be established and succeed.

I have some things that I have believe God wants to do with the new stage of my life, with my ministry gifts, with my vision, passion and experience. I have spent a lot of time talking about some of them, waiting for some things to take place, looking for some proof that others believe in me. 

I think God has been stirring me to ROLL MY WORKS UPON HIM ALONE.

I think it may be time for me to switch from Checkers to Chess .

How about you??

Is there a dream in your heart? Is there something that you feel God is calling you to step into that you have been afraid to believe? afraid to try? Have you been waiting for someone else to say "You can do this?" or even afraid to admit to people around you that you WANT to do something? Embarrassed that they might think you are off your rocker?

Maybe it's time to change your game and really believe that God has placed His dreams in your heart and that HE alone will make them come to pass but you have to make a move!! You have to be a bit strategic.

Maybe it is time to take a chance.  

I know that it is for me!!

ps...Please check out our "Fight Like a Girl" Ministry Giveaway at the "Surrendering the Secret" Blog.



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Pat. This was for me. I needed this today. The Lord has me in a place of real stretching and I know that He is preparing me for something more. Thanks for the reminder.

Kelli

Blogger KK said...

What a profound statement by your daughter! That was such a God moment. Her "checker to chess" statement is really making me think about my own life.

Blogger ~Amy~ said...

thanks for challenging my heart Pat.... This was for me today

Blogger Pat said...

Kelli,
I am so glad. It is amazing how often we are walking with God through something feeling all alone when all along, we have lots of sisters around us.
You are treasured,
pat

Karla,
I love and appreciate your visits. You must get a blog girlfriend!

Amy---"Ditto" comment to Kelli! See what I mean!
I love you sister,
Pat

Post a Comment

Home

My Ministry Sites
Blogs I Like
Subscribe
Site Search
Previous Posts
Archives
Miscellaneous
Credits