Pat Layton Pat Layton Pat Layton: Sweet Tea for Surrendered Sisters
Sweet Tea in Savannah

It is not difficult to find REAL Sweet Tea in Savannah, Georgia. 

I have heard it said that drinking sweet tea is one of the oldest and most exceptional Southern traditions. Dolly Parton's character in Steel Magnolia's called it "the house wine of the South". I say AMEN to that!

Savannah knows how to make sweet tea!! As Southern as Grits and Azaleas, Sweet Tea is a Savannah staple. I was born in this charming historic city and think that I possibly had sweet tea in my baby bottle.

It seems appropriate to begin my summer travels here in a place where one minute I am traveling down memory lane and the next I don't know what street I am on as so many things have changed. 

Tricia Heflin, one of our Surrendering the Secret National Trainers, flew into my Tampa home from her Texas home on Thursday to join me for a road trip to the Heartbeat International Conference in Richmond, Virginia. We decided that if we had to drive 1500 miles we may as well throw some fun girl time into the mix. 

We have both broken into our piggy banks and are staying at the Eliza Thompson House in Historic Savannah.



It is one of the cities oldest and most elegant Bed and Breakfast Inns. It is within walking distance to shops, antique stores, museums, civil war memorials, great restaurants and absolutely gorgeous old churches.



We have been treated like the Daughters of the King that we are, through the gracious southern hospitality of this B&B staff. From the moment we checked in, we have been spoiled. Starting with Afternoon Tea shortly after our arrival yesterday, the blessings continued right up until we found our beds turned down at dusk with little chocolates on the pillows. The beds are actually so high they have little staircases to help you crawl in. We woke to the smell of hot coffee brewing up the staircase from the garden courtyard this morning. We started the day with about 5 miles of walking before breakfast.



Savannah's Historic District is 1 mile wide and 26 blocks of cobblestone and brick streets, long. I think, based on how my legs and feet feel right now, that we stepped on a good portion of those bricks and stones today!



Although we just missed the peak of Spring when the Dogwood trees are filled with tiny white flowers which I LOVE, and full Azalea bushes that make the entire city glow pink, we were treated beautiful weather and the thick aroma of fully blooming magnolia trees, houses painted with Confederate Jasmine and bright red doors!!



It has been a sweet blessing but as we know, B&B's are not the REAL world!!
Right!!!!????

We will be packing up and heading north tomorrow morning, right after breakfast! 


In my Car!!

It's a good thing Cracker Barrel has sweet tea!


4 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

I love Savannah! Such a great town. I get some much needed girl time in Mt. Dora next weekend. Can't wait. Have fun. Praying for safe travels!

Hugs-

Jennifer

Blogger Melinda said...

Enjoy your time, sweet friend! One of these days you'll have to introduce me to Savannah...I would LOVE it!

XO Melinda

Blogger Meems said...

I loved this post with all the beautiful things of that wonderful Oglethorpe historic distric. But you got me laughing with memories of our trip there last year and this line... "one minute I am traveling down memory lane and the next I don't know what street I am on as so many things have changed."

Never will I forget our journey there and the day we almost ran out of gas.

It was a good thing that really good food ended that day. :-)
Meems @ Hoe and Shovel

Blogger Meems said...

fingers flying too fast... that would be "district".

Post a Comment

Home

My Ministry Sites
Blogs I Like
Subscribe
Site Search
Previous Posts
Archives
Miscellaneous
Credits