Pat Layton Pat Layton Pat Layton: Sweet Tea for Surrendered Sisters
Doors...


A few weeks ago I took a weekend girl trip back to the place of my birth, Savannah, Georgia. I grew up being referred to as a "Georgia Peach". I am defiantly a Southern Girl to the core and was raised on Sweet Tea and Southern Hospitality.

My recent trip to Savannah was one that I have dreamed of taking for many years. I have longed to see this beautiful city that drips with moss and history, from the eyes of a tourist. I have wanted to stay in a downtown B&B which I have not done since my honey and I spent a few days in one of the "less expensive" ones on our honeymoon. 

This trip was all that I had hoped it would be and more. (you can read more of the girly details here). 

I have learned to expect and to love, lessons, insights and revelation from God in the most UNexpected places and things. This trip was one of those times. God began to stir a word in my heart on that trip that has stayed with me for the past 2 weeks. 

As my friend Trisha and I were walking the blocks upon blocks of the city squares it struck me that almost all of the restored houses had big welcoming front doors, almost all painted a bright red. They were beautiful and very eye catching. Very, "hey look at me" bold. I began to snap photo after photo attempting to capture their unique style and eye catching elegance. 

The next morning during my quiet time the Lord reminded me of the doors

I began to look up verse after verse having to do with doors.....



        Psalm 141:3 (NIV)

Set a guard over my mouth, O LORD; 

              keep watch over the door of my lips. (I am still carrying this one around on a note card!)

                                    

 
Matthew 7:7 
Ask, Seek, Knock!!!!!!
     Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. (NIV)



Luke 13:24
He said to them, 24"Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. (NIV)



John 10:7-9 

So Jesus said to them again, "Truly, truly, I say to you,

            I am the door of the sheepAll who came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them.

     I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. (NAS)



2 Corinthians 2:12

     Now when I went to Troas to preach the gospel of Christ and found that the Lord had opened a door for me,


Colossians 4:3 

And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains.

Each of those passages of scripture does some stuff in my heart.
Challenging me to a higher place in my Walk with God.
Expecting more self-discipline empowered by Him.
Asking for more doors to be opened. Expecting more.
Stepping into doors that He has set before without fear of failure, actually knowing that I WILL fail on occassion.

It is amazing to consider the difference between the kinds of "doors" we focus on when we do not understand God's plans for opening and closing doors. The doors of the world that shout "come to me" are success, possessions, acclaim, approval, acceptance, ambition.

God's Doors are so different. 

I am still in training for sure. I actually blasted an unrequested opinion the very first day that I wrote that first scripture about the "door of my lips" on a card to memorize! I probably always will be learning to recognize the DOORS that God has opened or closed verses those of the world. 

My desire is to not only recognize but to SEEK them, to expect them. 

God's doors are opened through humility, gentleness, love, truth, passion, service, patience, forgiveness.

The doors that I seek now lead me into places of character change. Places where I am not as quick to judge and quicker to forgive, not envious but seeking the best for others, not seeking approval of man (or other women) but seeking approval of God and evidence of a renewed heart. 

I desire doors that God has opened. 

Revelation 3:20

Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.

I desire opportunities to be a true Southern Hostess for My Abba Father and His children.

PS...If you would like to OPEN A DOOR for post abortion healing in your church or community, there is some southern hospitality waiting for you at the STS Blog.

Ya'll Come over for a visit!!



4 Comments:

Blogger Melinda said...

I SO love when God starts to weave a theme into a day, then supports it in scripture! You know I'm always looking for an open door...anxious to see what He has for me...for us!

XO Melinda

Blogger Paula V said...

Great scriptures, great pictures, great analogy of doors.

Blogger Pat said...

You gurls aww the sweetist thangs!
Thanks so much for stoppin' by!
xxx's.
pat

Blogger KK said...

What a great post! Loved, loved, loved the pictures and scriptures!!

Post a Comment

Home

My Ministry Sites
Blogs I Like
Subscribe
Site Search
Previous Posts
Archives
Miscellaneous
Credits