Pat Layton Pat Layton Pat Layton: Sweet Tea for Surrendered Sisters
When Life Feels Messy

Has your LIFE ever been more than you could take?
Have you ever had so much on your plate that you feel like you want to just curl up in a little ball and be invisible?
Have you ever asked God, "How do I keep getting into this mess?"
Do you ever just want to scream to the top your your sweet lungs "I just can't do this anymore"?

My sister has a plaque on her wall that says "I have one nerve left and you are standing on it"

Sometimes I do a "Balanced Life" better than other times. Actually, this has been an area of struggle in my life for as long as I can remember. As far back as being a teenage single Mom right up until today, this has been a place of challenge for me and in fact, a place of sin.

Yes, I said SIN!

Jesus says in Matthew 11:30 "My Yoke is easy, my burden is light". I think the reason that Jesus could say those words and offer that same option to us (verses 28-29) is because He had a clear purpose. He knew what He was supposed to do and not supposed to do. He knew, because He put His time with God FIRST!! He heard from God and did what His Father said to do.


Luke 4:18, 19 says
"The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is upon me, He has anointed me to PREACH the GOOD NEWS. He has sent me to proclaim FREEDOM for the captives, and recovery of sight to the blind. To set FREE the oppressed. To proclaim the year of our Lord's favor"

In Luke 4:42-44 Jesus actually said NO to someone who wanted ministry!!

I so often SIN in this area by doing things or saying yes to things that I have not heard God tell me to do, I just do them because they need to be done, or because someone else is not doing them well enough for me, or because I am impatient to see them get done. 

Then, before I know it, my LIFE is MESSY!!! I seem to be doing nothin' good for nobody, or at least I feel that way!!

Last night, I had to spend some late night time with God. I had to pull myself away to ask God;
Where have I missed you? 
Why am I so burdened? 
Where did I get off the path.

My Abba Father met me in the dark hours of the night, just like He always does! 

He always comes when we call on Him.

This is what He said....
Go back to the last thing I told you to do and do it!!
Stop doing anything I have NOT told you to do.
If you don't know what I told you to do, slow down so that you can hear me tell you again.

"God will not ask how many books you have read (or written) or how many miracles you have worked; He will ask if you have done your best for the Love of Him!"
Mother Teresa


"I have learned that balance does not mean we are good at everything. it means that we do what we do well and get help with the rest. It means that we do not make the mistake of burning the candle at both ends and lighting a match in the middle. One of the definitions of balance is the power to decide. We all have that."
Liz Curtis Higgs

So, here I sit. Still in my prayer chair.
Getting it again!


4 Comments:

Blogger EllenP said...

Thank you for your words of wisdom, Pat. They truly spoke to me this day! I get so excited about the many things I want to do in Christ, that many times I don't handle any one of them well. You reminded me to slow down, stop, pray and listen. No more impetuous decisions. You are a blessing in my life! Love you! Ellen Philpot

Blogger KK said...

What a great word today! I too am guilty of "doing" without any real direction from Him.

This post is very timely for me. I have been leading a group of ladies in a bible study that will end in two weeks. I do not want to rush ahead of His leading or make assumptions for the future.

Thank you for sharing from your heart and for reminding me of the importance of seeking Him and listening for His direction in ALL things.

Blogger Melinda said...

Oh friend! You KNOW this is a hot topic for me! Blessings on you as take a listening stop on the road God has you on.

Hugs,
Melinda

Blogger Cheri said...

Thank you for the reminder!

Post a Comment

Home

My Ministry Sites
Blogs I Like
Subscribe
Site Search
Previous Posts
Archives
Miscellaneous
Credits