Pat Layton Pat Layton Pat Layton: Sweet Tea for Surrendered Sisters
Fresh Word Friday
I can not even remember the last Friday that I brought a "Fresh Word Friday" to "Sweet Tea". 

It is not that I have not collected them, or thought about posting one, I just do not have enough DISCIPLINE to keep some of my many spinning plates spinning, or my many good intentions on my schedule.

As I have pursued God's Word this past week about balance and priorities, the word DISCIPLINE has been rolling around in my mind and heart.

When I hear or even THINK, the word discipline, I get ready for fun to go BYE-BYE!! 

Things like:

carrot verses carrot CAKE
treadmill verses rocking chair and good book
skinny latte verses White Chocolate Mocha
car wash verses a good movie
"sale" racks verses "New Arrivals"


DISCIPLINE
is just NOT a "fun" sounding word to me. 
I looked it up in my big old Webster's (I keep this giant ripped up red book next to my prayer chair). What I found kind of surprised me. I knew the obvious definition, the one that I don't care for that I mentioned above.

It goes like this: Discipline: to punish or penalize for the sake of training, instruction or control (YUK); to impose order; a rule or system of rules (YUK,YUK,YUK)

but then, I found some other stuff. 

The root word of DISCIPLINE is DISCIPLE: Follower of Jesus, Apostle. 
This definition lead to this:

A Field of Study, a training that perfects character; teaching, learning, training, order (YUM). 
Now, those are some words I can hook up with.

A have have a very old book on my bookshelf  titled "Celebration of Discipline" by Richard Foster, originally published in 1978. 
I have studied this book a few times over the years, the last time was a few years ago with a group of ladies who where in my home for a group that I host now and then called "Leading Ladies". The group is made up of women of all ages who are serving in positions of leadership. Some are in ministry, business or education. The book has always been a great challenge to all of us and is not an easy read. It is steak verses jello, if you know what I mean.

I decided a few days ago that it might be time for me to revisit these principles and get my inner world into a bit more outer order. 
I don't know about you, but for me, sometimes things just seem to get off track a bit when I least expect it. 

I begin to struggle with priorities, feel crunched and overly busy. AKA---STRESSED!!
I find myself sad about not having time for some things that matter to me:

time with my friends or family that is about rest and restoration---not work or even "ministry"
time in my garden--just for fun, not because I NEED to
time just meditating on God's goodness--not working on a 3 point outline or a book chapter

I have some signs in my life that tell me when it is time to regroup. 
When I feel like a dry sponge at a worship service, I know that I had not spent enough time in God's presence to stay full. 
When I feel easily irritated or discouraged, I know that I need to take a look at my inner life. 
When I slip back into people pleasing or insecurity, I know that I have wandered from the things that keep me strong and connected to who I am in Christ.

Does any of this ring a bell?

Mr Foster says in his book, " The disciplines of the spiritual life call us to move beyond surface living into the depths. They invite us to explore the inner caverns of the spiritual realm. They urge us to be the spiritual answer to a HOLLOW world."

He goes on later to say, "JOY is the keynote of all of the spiritual disciplines. The purpose of discipline is FREEDOM from self interest or wordly measures".

WOW.

Psalm 42:1 says:

As a deer longs for water, so I long for you God.
I thirst for God, the living God.
CSB

As the heart pants and longs for the water brooks
so I pant and long for you o God,
My inner self thirsts for God,
for the living God.
Amplified Bible

A white tailed deer drinks from the creek;
I want to drink God,
deep draughts of God.
I am thirsty for God alive.
The Message

Mr Foster closes his first chapter with these words:

"The life that is pleasing to God is not a series of religious duties. 
We have only one thing to do, namely to experience a life of relationship and intimacy with God."

That is the kind of discipline that I desire and purpose to maintain in my life. 
It is time to get me some reNewed DISCIPLINE!!

However, I will be having me some Carrot Cake during the Super Bowl!



Labels:



10 Comments:

Blogger KK said...

Have you been reading my mail? Seriously, I've been exhausted during this season of discipline from Him. You are right, discipline can mean training as well as correction. He spoke to my heart Hebrews 12:11 and that He is training me with some new skills that I will need for the future.

Just like exercising and lifting weights, at first it is hard and exhausting but soon you get stronger and stronger. That is what He is doing with me, spiritually speaking. He is training me to be disciplined in some areas that I am weak in.

Thank you for your post, it was very timely for me!

Hebrews 12:11

No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Blogger Tammy said...

I so needed to read this!

I always start out being *disciplined* with the things that I know I need to do but some how I get sidetrack.

So,I have asked someone to keep me accountable which has helped.

Blogger Jennifer said...

This is great! Discipline, it seems an uncomfortable word. I am in a season of training. He is training me in things that I didn't think I could possibly do! Isn't He something? So as uncomfortable as I am at this moment I know that it is for my own good and to bring Glory to Him!

Blogger Paula V said...

Good stuff, Pat. Really.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, Mom! I love it.
Too bad I can't go back to the days of my youth and say : "now Mom, is this really the 'type' of discipline you think we need right now?" Ha!
Love You,
Tim

Blogger Melinda said...

Is this the book you were talking about the other night? I thought you called it something else, but I have been known to make a mistake now and again. Ahem.

I have this book and am thinking I might need to pick it back up. If you've read my latest post, you might agree. Discipline. I'm all about the YUM part of this post. I think that's the part God wants for me, too.

Thanks friend. Oh, and Kevin will be joining you in the eating of carrot cake tomorrow. :o) I might even sneak a bite myself. Maybe.

Blogger Joyful said...

I read Foster's book back when I was attending a College and Career group many years ago. We used it as our study book. If it was first released in '78, I'm guessing it was fairly new when I read it the first time. Maybe I too will give it a re-read. "Discipline" might now always be a favourite word, but it is a fresh word!

Blessings,
Joy

Blogger Pat said...

Karla,
I promise, my mail is quite enough for the spiritual workouts of my life.
God is so good. He is always drawing us into higher places so that He can bless us more, advance us farther, release us into greater ministry.
Such a tender process that would be so much easier if we would only trust and obey!
Bless you!

Blogger Pat said...

Tammy, I love the accountability idea. It is always tougher to slide when walking along beside you.

Jennifer and Paula---WOW, it does seem this is a common journey these days isn't it. Thank you for the kind words and encouragement!

Tim, I feel certain that you have used those exact words :)

Blogger Pat said...

Melinda, it is the book and funny enough the one you mentioned was mentioned to me! I need to get it to begin right after this one. Maybe one of these days it will all sink in. Well, actually, I know that it will!!
blessings


Joy, I think that was about my first time around this mountain as well. I think this might be kind of a spiritual "classic" and never get too old to reread.
Have a great week,
pat

Post a Comment

Home

My Ministry Sites
Blogs I Like
Subscribe
Site Search
Previous Posts
Archives
Miscellaneous
Credits