Pat Layton Pat Layton Pat Layton: Sweet Tea for Surrendered Sisters
Advent---Week 2
This morning, in my quiet time, I did something that I find very difficult and do not do nearly enough.
I sat before the Lord with nothing to say (rather, saying nothing) and simply listened.
It is not that I didn't HAVE things to talk to God about. I actually have a BOATLOAD of prayer requests!! There are a few things that are so heavy on my heart that I can barley get myself around for the weight of them. Things that I have talked to Him about OVER and OVER and OVER!!!!!! Things I have asked God to FIX or to show ME how to fix. 
I will take either way.

God's ways are not our ways. 
A look at the manger speaks clearly of that truth.

This is the second week of the Advent season.

Advent: (root for the word Adventure) a penitential (root word for penitentiary) beginning 4 Sundays before Christmas for reflection upon the coming of Christ.

Advent is a season of reflection, repentance, anticipation and celebration. It is so much more than a commercial holiday counted upon to boost the economy. It is a season that calls for complete focus upon the Birth of the Saviour of the World!!

A season of understanding the truth about God. 

An understanding that everything begins and ends with our complete reconciliation to Him. Our Creator, Our Lord, Our All in All. 

Advent calls for a double focus...the beginning and the end, past and future. I read that Advent demands a "profound sense that we live between the times". 
We have seen His first coming, we will see His return.


For those of us who really understand this season, it is our responsibility to tell the rest of the world.

The neighbors who are having Santa as the guest of honor for a holiday party.
The dry cleaner who has a Buddha on the counter with a Santa hat on his head.
The grocery cashier who has a "HoHoHo" apron on.
The dental hygienist who laments about her lack of shopping money this year.

As I sat with the Lord this morning, waiting for Him to Write to ME in my journal, this is what He said:

"As for me, this is my covenant with them....My Spirit, who is on you, and my Word that I have put in your mouth, will not depart from your mouth, or from the mouths of your children, or from the mouths of their descendants from this time and forever"
Is 59:21

What a promise. What a Savior. What a Season!!





7 Comments:

Blogger Paula V said...

Beautifully said, Pat.

Blogger Melanie said...

"Living between the times..." I like that.
Thanks for commenting on my give-a-way post!

Blogger JayCee said...

ADVENTure....I like that.....thanks for reminding us.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said my friend.
Love it.

Blogger Tammy said...

I like the idea of sitting before the Lord not saying a thing but to listen to what's being said.

Blogger Melinda said...

Love the meaning of advent: an adventure in penitence. So beautiful.

Hugs,
Melinda

Blogger Jennifer said...

Thank you for your beautiful post. I simply loved it.

Jennifer

Post a Comment

Home

My Ministry Sites
Blogs I Like
Subscribe
Site Search
Previous Posts
Archives
Miscellaneous
Credits