Pat Layton Pat Layton Pat Layton: Sweet Tea for Surrendered Sisters
Fresh Word Friday
The "Fresh Word" that I have for the day is "Promise".

I have been convicted lately, although not intentionally nor directly, by a watching a few sweet friends, about keeping "Promises".

My friend Melinda @ "Traveling the Road Home" PROMISED in January of this year to post a weekly devotional directed towards the Sanctity of Human Life and our Christian call to prayer for the unborn and the men and women who buy the lie of abortion. She has faithfully provided for our prayer direction EVERY MONDAY for the past 8 plus months.

I have been in a car with Melinda on our way back from a trip from North Carolina to Tampa. We were both tired, talked out and ready to be home in our beds. Melinda, however had a PROMISE to post a weekly devotional and she was going to keep it. She worked on her post off and on all day during our road trip that Sunday then completed it in the we hours of the morning on Monday in time to keep her promise.

Honestly, I probably would have skipped that week rationalizing that it would not be "the end of the world" to miss just one post and anyway, who would really care? Of course Melinda's blog has a good bit more traffic than mine but still...

My friend, Lysa Terkeurst, at Proverbs 31 Ministries, has promised herself to change her eating habits and work towards a healthier lifestyle. I have done that a BILLION times. I saw Lysa this summer and she looks great! She kept her promise to herself!

There are quite a few others that I have watched lately who have re stirred this word in my heart.

It is not that I am not a "Committed" person. I have been with the same man for 33 years, led the same ministry for 22 years, attended the same church for 16 years, ect, ect, ect. I have had "Sweet Tea" for over a year now. It is just that within the parameters of my life I find lots of room for CHANGES to be made.

Perhaps, too much room.

I admit, sometimes I struggle with keeping my promises.

This is the definition of "Promise"
1.a declaration that something will or will not be done, given, etc., by one: un kept political promises.
2.an express assurance on which expectation is to be based:promises that an enemy will not win.
3.something that has the effect of an express assurance; indication of what may be expected.
4.indication of future excellence or achievement: a writer who shows promise.
5.something that is promised.

There are a few reason that I have concluded that might make me feel FREE to break a promise:

1) Underlying lack of Self Worth.
Like, I might say I would meet some girlfriends for lunch but just got too busy. In my mind, I think, "it won't matter that much, others are going to be there, or she will be glad to be freed up, or, we will do it another time, no big deal".

Broken Promise

2) Poor Time Management.
I have so many GOOD intentions that sometimes I can't do them all. When I said I was going to that event I REALLY WANTED to go, I just had other, more important things come along unexpectedly.

Broken Promise

3) Impulsive Promises.
I don't take the time to really think and plan before I say I will do something. Can I afford it? Do I really have time? Have I checked with Honey? Have I already promised something else for this time slot?

Broken Promise

For more than a few months now, I have spent my devotional time studying Psalms 139. One of the last verses of the Psalm say "Search my heart Lord and see if there is any wicked way in me". Talk about a risky prayer!!!

The biggest reason that I want to get better at this is that I desire for every single part of my life to Glorify God and reflect His character.

God has a more than a few things to say about making PROMISES. Here are a couple of them.

Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

Above all, my brothers, do not swear—not by heaven or by earth or by anything else. Let your "Yes" be yes, and your "No," no, or you will be condemned.

Oh my! That is more motivation than Melinda or Lysa put together!

I have been down this road before but PTL..God is not finished with me yet.

How about you? Are you good at keeping promises?

A while back, I promised to post a "Fresh Word" on Fridays.

As you can see, I have not kept my promise for a "Fresh Word on Friday". So, if my sweet friends can do it, I can do it!!

Regardless of who cares.
Regardless of other things that come up.

I PROMISE myself, in front of a few friends, to keep this PROMISE for recording a "Fresh Word".


8 Comments:

Blogger KK said...

Thank you Pat for keeping your promise! What I think about when I hear the word promise is.... integrity. God worked a long time with me on that one. Letting my yes be yes. Matthew 5:37

Blogger Jennifer said...

Looking forward to your "Fresh Word"!

Blogger Pat said...

Karla and Jennifer,
Thanks for the visit today and for the encouragement. Part of my weekend will be building up some blog posts for those many days when my ideas are bigger than my abilities!!
Have a great weekend!

Blogger Melinda said...

Oh sweet friend, I wish I was as good at keeping every promise as I've been at keeping up with the prayer posts! I'm glad, however, that it's been of some encouragement to you!

You just bless me to pieces.
Melinda

Blogger Julie said...

Pat, Thank you for your visit to my blog and your kind words. You have blessed me today...

Thank you,

Blogger Terri Tiffany said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is always so nice to meet another Florida writer:)
As to promises, I try hard to keep them but find as I get caught up in more stuff--it gets harder. But still-- I try cause I know someone is counting on me.

Blogger Kay B said...

Pat,

Looking forward to your Fresh Word Fridays! I haven't commented in a while, but I'm here lurking and reading your words of God-breathed inspiration.

Good post by the way, 'kept' promises speak integrity to me.

Blessings,
Kay B
in San Antonio

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My darling Daughter-Please read this over and stop putting yourself down !!! Look what GOD has done with such a mixed up young lost girl !! And be proug of everything you don't spell right or say right or promise's you miss keeping and thank God for what he has done with my oldest!!!! daughter.(of course mr.L had a little to do with it !!

Post a Comment

Home

My Ministry Sites
Blogs I Like
Subscribe
Site Search
Previous Posts
Archives
Miscellaneous
Credits