Pat Layton Pat Layton Pat Layton: Sweet Tea for Surrendered Sisters
Who do you say that I am??
Sometimes I have trouble with friends.

Sometimes the air that is shared between my mouth and their ears causes things to sound different that I mean for them to. 
Sometimes I mean for things to sound different than I should.
Sometimes an old me sneaks up in front of the new me and blasts out words of judgement, fear, control, anger, hurt, impatience, self defence, ect, ect......

I was recently having a conversation with one friend who expressed a not so flattering opinion of another friend of ours. As if to validate her perspective she said "everyone thinks **** is very ****". 
I was struck by the comment and it has remained on my heart and in my mind, not in a judgemental way but in a reflective way. As I mentioned a few post back, I am using Chuck Swindoll's "Seasons of Life" in my quite time and the study calls Fall, the Reflective Season.

It made me wonder, when my friends are talking about me......who do they say that I am?

Jesus posed the very question to His friends.

Matthew 16:13-19 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)

13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, "Who do people say that the Son of Man is?"
14 And they said, "Some say John the Baptist; others, Elijah; still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets."

15 "But you," He asked them, "who do you say that I am?"

16 Simon Peter answered, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God!"

17 And Jesus responded, "Simon son of Jonah, you are blessed because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father in heaven. 18 And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the forces of Hades will not overpower it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth is already bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth is already loosed in heaven."


The conversation made me wonder.....who do people say that I am?  
When my name comes up in conversation, do good things come to mind and mouth?
Has my life been lived in such a way that people's first thoughts of me are good and that my character flaws are dimmer than my character strengths?
Am I blessed with having made more good choices than bad making way for others to assume the best about me? to beleive the best? to say the best?

Just another "Reflective Season" thought.

Blessings Today!! 


7 Comments:

Blogger Paula V said...

Miss Pat,
You've struck a chord with me. I've often wondered the same thing about myself. Particularly with co-workers. I would with some very frustrating faculty and I share my opinions with my supervisors and even though the frustrations are totally legitamate (as they are hard people to work with for everyone), I feel I need to zip it. I feel my personal life is also causing such depression that I do not come across as the loving and caring person I believe myself to me. I'm so down that I don't have the energy or desire to ask others in the hall how they are. Does that make sense?

That is NOT the person I want to portray. I want to portray the character of Christ but many times I fail so, so bad.

That's for the gentle reminder to continue to be conscientious about who I portray.

I've posted my piece on the online study. I'd love to hear your comments on what I've written.
Love,
Paula

Blogger Tawny said...

Hi Pat,
I was in your class in San Antonio. I cried through the first day, I still don't know why and didn't show up the second, because one of the girls I was with had a crisis of her own we had to help her with.

I like your blog. I forgot you were a blogger, or I would have come by sooner! Your feeder thingy doesn't work though, so I can't put you in my reader. :(

Blogger Melinda said...

Mighty good food for thought, my friend. I can say for sure, at least in my world, that there are nothing but good thoughts where you're concerned.

Love you,
Melinda

You are an "A" Plus in my book! Just getting to know you and you are truly genuine...and a lover of God!

I think we all want to know how others feel about us...that's being human....but what we should be concerned about is, if we confess to be a "christian" then our lives should reflect that..which is love, compassion, gentleness, patience, etc. .... and I fall short in pretty much all of those (fruits of the Spirit)!

I've got alot of work to do on this ole girl to get me where God wants me!!

Blogger Pat said...

Paula,
I did visit your blog. I always enjoy my visit with you, hearing your heart and seeing God at work in the good stuff you write.
You are a very big blessing and a reflection of His love,
Bless you!

Blogger Pat said...

Tawny,
You are sweet and your words encourage me. Thank you. Nice way to start the day!
I pray that your is equally blessed,
Pat

Blogger Pat said...

Melinda and Beth---I love your visits and your kind words.
Have a wonderful Friday!!
Pat

Post a Comment

Home

My Ministry Sites
Blogs I Like
Subscribe
Site Search
Previous Posts
Archives
Miscellaneous
Credits