Pat Layton Pat Layton Pat Layton: Sweet Tea for Surrendered Sisters
Summer Slowly Slipping Away

Summer does seem to be the fastest moving season doesn't it?

Except here in Florida of course. Summer is different here. Here even though the lazy family days of sleeping in and vacation, eating ice cream in the pool and beach walks (or beach sitting as you can see above) pass just as quickly as the rest of the nation, it moves really slowly here on the thermostat. It is HOT, HOT, HOT!

It has always seemed that the kids get out of school one day then in the blink of an eye, we are preparing for a new school year.

I love the line in the movie "You've Got Mail" when Tom Hanks, aka Joe Fox, begins to reminisce about the season of "Fall" and emails his secret pal Meg Ryan, aka Kathleen Kelly,

"Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me wanna buy school supplies.
I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your address.
On the other hand, this NOT knowing, has it's charms".

We are not exactly making "pencil bouquets" around here but we are doing some MAJOR school preparation as our "baby" girl turned Sophomore, prepares to return to college in a few way too short, days.

We are gathering the goodies in the guest room.
All the BILLIONS of things that girls take to college!

Then, there is that one thing that girls DO NOT take to college and that is MOMS!!!
What's THAT about??!!


It is surely what I like least about seeing summer coming to an end.

I considered hiding in her back pack but when I went to try it out for size, I found her Dad inside..........
Oh well, there is always the laundry basket that matches the Duvet' cover!!


4 Comments:

Blogger Meems said...

Oh how I remember those days of summer ending, preparation, and sending the youngins' back to school. It's been a while but the memories are vivid. There's mutual glee and reluctance all at the same time.

I'll be praying for you both...
Meems

Blogger Pat said...

Meems,
I do know that some GLEE is yet to follow. There are a few benefits to the "empty nest", I just can't think of them right now....
Thanks for the visit :)
p

Blogger Melinda said...

My baby girl - same age - is heading off next weekend, too! It's wonderful having her home and it's wonderful that she's excited to go back.

It's also wonderful that hubs and I really happen to enjoy each other, since we're "all we got" when she leaves! :o)

XO Melinda

Blogger Pat said...

Melnda,
I know that you know the PAIN of it all :)
Yes, at least we have shoulders to cry on! That is a blessing!!
Pat

Post a Comment

Home

My Ministry Sites
Blogs I Like
Subscribe
Site Search
Previous Posts
Archives
Miscellaneous
Credits